READING TO EMPOWER THE HEALTHY STYLISH & BEAUTIFUL YOU
Can meditation help when you're facing a challenge like cancer?
I have a dear friend undergoing treatment for breast cancer. Alternative cancer treatments have been my obsession lately to help support conventional treatments and make them less painful.
Mindfulness meditation, the practice of focusing on the present moment, has helped cancer patients experience less pain, more calm, and increased happiness according to a 2011 study.
Mindfulness also helps the body to heal by helping cancer patients sleep better and feel less stress. By concentrating on compassion and the present moment, meditation is an alternative to the anxiety and worry many people experience.
Through mindfulness, we become more aware of our thoughts and emotions. This allows us to create more space so we can choose to enjoy the present moment and not race towards future what ifs. We can choose more healing thoughts and appreciate what is - positive mindset has been documented over and over as a non-medical key to healing.
Experiencing a health challenge? Try developing a meditation practice. My Learn to Meditate course offers instruction in mindfulness and using meditation to promote calm and relaxation. Also, experience our mindfulness and compassion meditations as well as singing bowl meditation to help you cope with the stress of illness.
I wish all health and healing.
Recently, I've been feeling heavy. It is from all the end of school activities, not eating right by eating on the run, and everyday going until I hit that wall which short circuits my brain and drives me to bed. After my son's middle school graduation, I was talking with a group of moms feeling the exact same way.
So, how to feel light now that summer is here?
1. Schedule in time to do nothing. Create a buffer that allows you to partake in unexpected pleasures like having a latte outdoors with a friend, sitting at the pool with your kids, or reading a magazine. I am putting daily time at our pond club in the late afternoon.
2. Eat more raw foods. Going to the farmers' market inspires good, light summer salads with fruit and raw vegetables which fill you up and are satisfying without making you lethargic in the summer heat.
3. Take life outside. Being outdoors reminds us the world is large and limitless. It inspires and calms. Eat outside, Camp in the backyard with the kids. Swim. Hike. Garden. Bike.
Let me know what you think!
1. Fill half your plate at every meal with vegetables and berries.Powerful antioxidants and synergistic nutrition found in berries and vegetables heal your body by fueling the mitochondria. Strong mitochondria equals strong cells which equals recovery.
2. Take a Coenzyme Q10 supplement daily. It increases energy production in the mitochondria giving you and your body more energy for less fatigue and more healing.
3. Provide your body with high quality protein daily. Protein is necessary for the repair which has to be done throughout the body to curb the symptoms of autoimmunity.
Tell me how it these changes impact you.
Gratitude is the key practice to transform your everyday life. Gratitude is the secret sauce that turns our everyday into something magical. Offering thanks daily is the quickest way to change our mood and perception of our life. Thanksgiving magnifies the good stuff and makes everything else fade into the background.
I cringe as I think of times in my life that have felt dull and constraining. I remember stretches that felt like the laundry cycle of a washing machine: wake up, cook, tidy up, change diapers, run errands, read bedtime stories, rinse and repeat--over and over and over.
Living like that can kill you, both figuratively and spiritually. It is definitely not the space in which relationships grow and expand; new possibilities do not easily present themselves in that place; nor do children feel boundless love coming from their parent. It is not the place of joy, beauty, and connection. But it is an opportunity to remake your life.
The practice of gratitude transforms cleaning up the third spill of the day into something closer to the sacred. Milk spills. Gratitude changes our perspective. The spill is not a burden. We may still be unhappy about it, but frustration dissipates. Thanks for the child drinking the milk. Thanks that we have milk. Thanks that there can be more milk to fill the cup. Thanks that you're there to care for that child. Thanks for the ability to clean it up. Thanks for the cow, and the farmer, and the grocery store. The list is endless.
Any and all events in our lives are elevated by gratitude. The color and energy of joy and happiness are intensified. We more deeply appreciate good when we infuse our experience with gratitude. The people around us feel more appreciated and seen when we express our thanks for them and for what they do.
Transformation happens when we give thanks for the small and big things. Our eyes open to what is happening around us. Our hearts lighten because we connect with the present moment. We become fully present to what is. Gratitude is something we consciously must practice until it becomes as natural to us as breathing.
Join jolie in your journey of gratitude. Meditation is an excellent opportunity to reflect and sink into the good. Also, the Thursday Mom 2 Mom is a great way for mothers to up level their day with little effort. Please share your gratitude practices with us on Facebook and in person.
Exercise began for me as a way to lose weight, get in shape, and relieve stress. It has become for me one of the primary ways I keep my body feeling and looking young. Exercise is a powerful youth serum available -- if you know how to make it. I created Row jolie as a workout and youth serum in one.
The key markers or characteristics of aging are: limited mobility, frailty, muscle loss, loss of bone mass, weight gain, thinning, sagging skin, random aches and pains, and inconsistent energy levels.
Bright, radiant skin, defined muscles, fluidity in movement, flexibility, endurance, energy, an overall good feeling in your body, and quick recovery from illness and/or injury are the signs of vitality.
When I work out, design workouts, and have personal training it is always important that the movements not only do no harm, but assist in keeping my body young and vital. Renewal is the name of the game.
6 ingredients necessary to turn exercise into youth serum
1. It is essential you incorporate full range of motion in some of your weekly exercise. For example, aim for full articulation of your shoulder. You want arm movements which mimic life: arms overhead, pulls and pushes. Think of picking up or playing with a baby - those are the movements: picking the child up, holding the baby and gazing at him, placing him gently in a crib. Push, pull, raise your arms overhead regularly. For the lower body, there is nothing better than lunges and squats. Fully articulate the joint with fluid, controlled movements using body weight or free weights which allow you to build strength while maintaining proper form.
2. Deterioration of balance is a key sign of aging. It affects your stride and ability to recover from being jostled or tripping. Balance is one of things that if you don’t use it, you lose it. Daily exercises that require balancing on one leg and bending over and straightening are a must. Lunges are a great example of balance maintaining exercises as well as one legged squats and burpees.
3. You do not have to jump to build bone density. Closed chain movements build bone density at the same rate as jumping. A closed chain exercise is where the feet are stationary and movement is made by exerting the legs and core. Rowing is an excellent example of closed chain cardio. Weighted squats and pushups are another forms of closed chain exercises which build bone density.
4. Cardio is not only a calorie burner and essential for heart health, but in your youthening routine it provides regeneration at the cellular level. Aging is marked by a decrease in the number of mitochondria in the cells. Aerobic activity, especially interval training, stimulates the production of more mitochondria in the skeletal muscle tissue. More mitochondria equals greater energy, faster recovery, better functioning cells, higher metabolism.
On the contrary, as mitochondria in skeletal muscle cells decrease, the cells become insulin resistant, inefficient, and prone to degenerative disease. This increase your risk of developing type 2 diabetes, systemic inflammation, and weight gain. All three of those situations are a step toward looking and feeling old.
5. Weight training 2-3 times a week. You look younger with visible, defined muscle. Beyond looks, strong muscle contraction maintains the connective tissue surrounding joints and builds bone density. In addition, strong muscle helps maintain posture, improves sleep, and balances blood sugar.
Also, strength is important to power the activity of life. Getting up, carrying groceries, gardening, caring for children, moving things around, a day out in the country or in town are all powered by your muscles. The stronger your muscles, the less taxing these activities are. In addition, muscles burn a lot of calories making it easier for you to maintain your figure and not experience the dip in metabolism that many say is an inevitable part of aging.
6. Detoxification. Exercise is an important detoxifier. Sweating, deep breathing, increased circulation all detoxify the body. This creates a healthier environment for every cell of the body by preventing the buildup of free radicals which interfere in cellular function. In addition, sweating and increased circulation stimulate the production of skin cells; thereby preventing thinning and sagging. Healthy cells are young cells, young cells equals young body.
I urge you to incorporate each of these six points into your exercise weekly. Over time you will see a difference in your appearance, increase in energy, and the disappearance of random aches and pains. I tell my youthening clients to expect to carve off one year for every month of moving, eating, and living to youthening. Stick with it - the results are amazing!
Sometimes it seems the fog in our brain will not lift. We have been at a deadline or a big project, and find ourselves in the Twilight Zone of thought. Stale ideas that keep coming back. Our creativity vanishes. We get tired of even thinking.
This is when you are in need of brain rest. The brain, like your muscles, needs recovery time to refresh so that it can work creatively and powerfully. Think of it as rebooting your computer -- everything closes, the computer shuts down, rest for a moment, and when it's restarted the glitch you had disappears.
5 Steps to reboot your brain:
Next time you are close to brain fatigue, whip out these tools. In just a day or two, you will find energy, productivity, and inspiration restored.
with love and gratitude,
Yoga is a perfect antidote to a bad day -- disappointment, criticism, and low energy fade away. Next time, aka tomorrow, you need a pick me up, instead of stopping at Starbucks or at the mall for retail therapy, drop into jolie for a yoga class.
Concentrate your mind and body and you will find relief; relief by sourcing your strength and clarity; in that, you find peace and satisfaction through yoga.
How does yoga transform your day?
1. Yoga allows you to connect to your resilience - physical and emotional. Holding a pose will challenge your muscles, as you dig deep to hold a difficult pose you find out you're stronger than you think you are. The focus of holding warrior pose will connect you with your mental and emotional fortitude. Tapping into our strength during yoga is just the push we need to get us mental back in the game after a stressful day.
2. Clarity created by concentrating on a pose: breath, posture, alignment is akin to a moving meditation the concentration creates gaps in which our mind can float. This not only relaxes us, but opens up space for solutions and insights to bubble up.
3. Rest of savasana is integration time. Not only is it integrating the work you have done in your practice that day, but it also allows mental rest to digest the events of the day. This digestion allows you to let go of the waste, and be nourished by the good. It is an effortless letting go. Lay in the pose for deep restoration with no effort.
4. You get a natural high. Craving an escape or an increase in your energy, yoga is the answer accessible to everyone. Yoga causes the release of endorphins to lift your spirits and energy. People leave yoga, as they do meditation, with a radiant, glow from the cascade of joy hormones.
Stop by daily to experience yoga at jolie. We have everything you need, just bring yourself. Check out our new Yoga for the People - pay as you wish and support women's empowerment - all adult classes included. See you soon!
with love and gratitude,
Skin. Skin shows our age. Skin is the barrier between us and the environment. Skin is exposed to heat, cold, dryness, humidity, sun, toxins, pollutants, and irritants constantly.
A fit body and an aged face reads as old, whereas a young face and not so fit body still reads as young. A very inshape friend of mine was horrified to learn this despite efforts to eat well and workout. On the way back from a playdate with other moms of a similar age, her toddler asked her why she was older than the other moms. She asked her daughter jokingly why she thought that. Answer: because her face was older.
Secret to beautiful skin: CARE. The skin on our faces needs more care than our teeth do. No one would skip brushing.
Knowing I am super serious about skin care my friend asked me for suggestions to restore radiance and elasticity. I asked my friend how she cares for her skin. She washes it in the morning and most of the time at night and applies moisturizer. If she's particularly tired and not wearing makeup, she'll skip the night washing.
Here is the problem. The skin on our bodies that is exposed most of the time needs more care than our teeth do. No one would skip brushing.
Routine is the key. ALWAYS - no exceptions - take care of your face morning AND night.
My "I'm really tired or rushed" routine has only three steps, but I never, never, ever skip them.
Night - after makeup is removed:
1. Exfoliate first
That there is the absolute most basic skin care routine that will keep you looking fabulous.
A few pointers,
1. Choose a cleanser that doesn't over dry your skin
2. Exfoliate with a fine exfoliant designed for the face. It can be a chemical exfoliant, like papaya extract or very gentle round physical exfoliant. Try it on your hand first.
3. Moisturize with a cream or oil that contains antioxidants.
4. Sunscreen always and reapply during the day, even in winter. I have a friend dermatologist who refuses to work with anyone on anti-aging that does not commit to sunscreen. If you do anything to try to counter aging, sunscreen is the first step.
If you follow my bare bones protocol, your skin will start looking more radiant in less than a week. It will shock you. For more help, stop by jolie for a chat.
Neuroplasticity is a fancy word to signify the brain's ability to reshape itself - to forge new connections and pathways. When you become fluent in a foreign language, you utilize your neuroplasticity. In a nutshell, the more you think, do, or say something the more you will think, do, or say the same thing. It is the mental corollary to you are what you eat. You are what you think! You are how you move!
A hallmark of aging is the slow down of the formation of new pathways. In times of learning and experiencing new things, new neuro connections are constantly being created. As people age, unfortunately, their curiosity flags and their exploration into new territory is often reeled in. That is a choice which ages you and makes it more difficult for you to learn new material in the future. To remain youthful constantly learn new hobbies, movements, ideas, information.
However, we not only want to learn, but dive in. Although when we do something new, neuro pathways are forged we want them to take hold, the connections to be solidified. The more we repeat the activity, the more those neuropathways strengthen. For success in any activity the key is then regular, repeated action over a long period of time. Yoga is a great venue for learning, practicing, and continuing to have new frontiers of learning to master.
Yoga, in addition, sharpens your ability to listen to your body, heart, and mind opening up more opportunities for you to learn of the universe within you. Over time this directs you in making decisions which are aligned with your goals and truth. Listening helps you in practical areas of life also: to eat and exercise mindfully. You will sense immediately when you have had enough during a meal. No longer will you push yourself too hard in a workout. Learning to listen to your own truth will protect you from needlessly getting suck in decisions you were not aligned with in the first place.
I encourage you to begin a practice of yoga. Jolie offers yoga both during the day and in the evening. We also have kids classes and parent-child classes coming on Saturdays at 10:30.
with love and gratitude,
Do you want to finally do it?
A coach can light the fire underneath you to motivate, guide, and cheer you on to achieving your goal. They are the bridge and sherpa to discover the best version of YOU
Our daily life forces us to skimp on ourselves. We are asked to do more with less rest and sleep. We are constantly exposed to conflicting health reports and eating right can be confusing. Often we are so busy we have little time to focus on ourselves even when we need to.
Wellness coaching is a bridge and a sherpa. A good wellness coach provides support for necessary health changes that a healthcare professional does not have time or information to personally navigate with you. Coaching can bridge that gap helping you transform.
You have a life goal - a mountain to climb. The most reliable way to the top is with a skilled sherpa. I view health and life coaching as being a sherpa guiding people to find their inner compass, helping them find the fastest, most expedient route, and looking out to prevent pitfalls and potential dangers.
Good coaching should:
As a coach, I fulfill many roles for people. I love helping people actually do it. My approach is very personal and creative. Clients who think something won’t work for them are surprised by the solutions and change that happens. This February we are offering coaching packages of 10 sessions for $1000. If you want to explore your goal with us, please email email@example.com. If you are working on something specific we don’t specialize in, we are happy to connect you with someone who does.
with love and gratitude,
Words to Live By
Don't wait for the world to change, change it yourself.
Workshops and Events