READING TO EMPOWER THE HEALTHY STYLISH & BEAUTIFUL YOU
Yoga is a perfect antidote to a bad day -- disappointment, criticism, and low energy fade away. Next time, aka tomorrow, you need a pick me up, instead of stopping at Starbucks or at the mall for retail therapy, drop into jolie for a yoga class.
Concentrate your mind and body and you will find relief; relief by sourcing your strength and clarity; in that, you find peace and satisfaction through yoga.
How does yoga transform your day?
1. Yoga allows you to connect to your resilience - physical and emotional. Holding a pose will challenge your muscles, as you dig deep to hold a difficult pose you find out you're stronger than you think you are. The focus of holding warrior pose will connect you with your mental and emotional fortitude. Tapping into our strength during yoga is just the push we need to get us mental back in the game after a stressful day.
2. Clarity created by concentrating on a pose: breath, posture, alignment is akin to a moving meditation the concentration creates gaps in which our mind can float. This not only relaxes us, but opens up space for solutions and insights to bubble up.
3. Rest of savasana is integration time. Not only is it integrating the work you have done in your practice that day, but it also allows mental rest to digest the events of the day. This digestion allows you to let go of the waste, and be nourished by the good. It is an effortless letting go. Lay in the pose for deep restoration with no effort.
4. You get a natural high. Craving an escape or an increase in your energy, yoga is the answer accessible to everyone. Yoga causes the release of endorphins to lift your spirits and energy. People leave yoga, as they do meditation, with a radiant, glow from the cascade of joy hormones.
Stop by daily to experience yoga at jolie. We have everything you need, just bring yourself. Check out our new Yoga for the People - pay as you wish and support women's empowerment - all adult classes included. See you soon!
with love and gratitude,
Skin. Skin shows our age. Skin is the barrier between us and the environment. Skin is exposed to heat, cold, dryness, humidity, sun, toxins, pollutants, and irritants constantly.
A fit body and an aged face reads as old, whereas a young face and not so fit body still reads as young. A very inshape friend of mine was horrified to learn this despite efforts to eat well and workout. On the way back from a playdate with other moms of a similar age, her toddler asked her why she was older than the other moms. She asked her daughter jokingly why she thought that. Answer: because her face was older.
Secret to beautiful skin: CARE. The skin on our faces needs more care than our teeth do. No one would skip brushing.
Knowing I am super serious about skin care my friend asked me for suggestions to restore radiance and elasticity. I asked my friend how she cares for her skin. She washes it in the morning and most of the time at night and applies moisturizer. If she's particularly tired and not wearing makeup, she'll skip the night washing.
Here is the problem. The skin on our bodies that is exposed most of the time needs more care than our teeth do. No one would skip brushing.
Routine is the key. ALWAYS - no exceptions - take care of your face morning AND night.
My "I'm really tired or rushed" routine has only three steps, but I never, never, ever skip them.
Night - after makeup is removed:
1. Exfoliate first
That there is the absolute most basic skin care routine that will keep you looking fabulous.
A few pointers,
1. Choose a cleanser that doesn't over dry your skin
2. Exfoliate with a fine exfoliant designed for the face. It can be a chemical exfoliant, like papaya extract or very gentle round physical exfoliant. Try it on your hand first.
3. Moisturize with a cream or oil that contains antioxidants.
4. Sunscreen always and reapply during the day, even in winter. I have a friend dermatologist who refuses to work with anyone on anti-aging that does not commit to sunscreen. If you do anything to try to counter aging, sunscreen is the first step.
If you follow my bare bones protocol, your skin will start looking more radiant in less than a week. It will shock you. For more help, stop by jolie for a chat.
Neuroplasticity is a fancy word to signify the brain's ability to reshape itself - to forge new connections and pathways. When you become fluent in a foreign language, you utilize your neuroplasticity. In a nutshell, the more you think, do, or say something the more you will think, do, or say the same thing. It is the mental corollary to you are what you eat. You are what you think! You are how you move!
A hallmark of aging is the slow down of the formation of new pathways. In times of learning and experiencing new things, new neuro connections are constantly being created. As people age, unfortunately, their curiosity flags and their exploration into new territory is often reeled in. That is a choice which ages you and makes it more difficult for you to learn new material in the future. To remain youthful constantly learn new hobbies, movements, ideas, information.
However, we not only want to learn, but dive in. Although when we do something new, neuro pathways are forged we want them to take hold, the connections to be solidified. The more we repeat the activity, the more those neuropathways strengthen. For success in any activity the key is then regular, repeated action over a long period of time. Yoga is a great venue for learning, practicing, and continuing to have new frontiers of learning to master.
Yoga, in addition, sharpens your ability to listen to your body, heart, and mind opening up more opportunities for you to learn of the universe within you. Over time this directs you in making decisions which are aligned with your goals and truth. Listening helps you in practical areas of life also: to eat and exercise mindfully. You will sense immediately when you have had enough during a meal. No longer will you push yourself too hard in a workout. Learning to listen to your own truth will protect you from needlessly getting suck in decisions you were not aligned with in the first place.
I encourage you to begin a practice of yoga. Jolie offers yoga both during the day and in the evening. We also have kids classes and parent-child classes coming on Saturdays at 10:30.
with love and gratitude,
Words to Live By
Don't wait for the world to change, change it yourself.