READING TO EMPOWER THE HEALTHY STYLISH & BEAUTIFUL YOU
I love aromatherapy, but find it hard to integrate into everyday lfe. A simple way to use aromatherapy is sprinkling a few drops of essential oil onto the floor of the shower. As you dial in your temperature the whole bathroom becomes an aromatherapy room. Try cedarwood or sandalwood for the scent of bathing in nature.
I love facial masks. As winter fades and spring is slow in coming my skin reaches its apex of dryness. Awaken winter skin with an at home mask. My favorite hydrator and reviver is Manuka honey. Try mixing it with one of the following to create a nutrient mask:
Morning stretch is a great way to awaken the body in the morning. Before you get out of bed:
Say the word cleanse and most often you think of a juice cleanse. But, in the winter our bodies need to be warmed and nourished. To work with the natural needs of your body, a soup cleanse is the perfect winter reset. A soup cleanse combines the power of vegetables and magic of broth. Soups have a vegan or bone broth base to boost immunity and improve winter skin. They also are filled with fiber, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals to energize you and help beat the winter blues.
With soup cleansing during winter you will emerge from winter bright, light, and vibrant. I began soup cleansing last year - every Friday was cleanse day. This ritual gave me break each Friday to reboot and take important time to care for myself.
Enjoy a jolieLife soup cleanse this winter. You can order here.
One of my favorite soups to cleanse with that requires no cooking is an Avocado Arugula Soup (this can be served cold in summer).
1 ripe avocado
4 cups arugula
1 1/2 cups coconut water
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
juice of one lemon
Blend all the ingredients together in a high speed blender until smooth. Add more coconut water or salt if needed. Gently heat and enjoy. Makes 2 servings.
This is a super versatile way to have a nutritious, non dairy latte.
I use this as a morning breakfast, post workout supplement, or quick lunch. I like it both hot and cold. This makes two servings. I usually drink on and save the other for the next day.
Blend in a blender:
2 cups almond milk
1 tablespoon maple syrup
2 scoops of protein powder - I prefer Vital Proteins with collagen
1-2 shots of espresso or strong coffee
To upgrade this to a true beauty potion add one of the following:
2 tablespoons of maca - hormone balancing
½ teaspoon ashwagandha - stress dissolver
1 tablespoon mucuna pruriens - mood booster
To make your own almond milk:
Soak 1 cup of raw almonds in water for 4-6 hours. Drain and rinse. Then blend this with 4 cups of water and a pinch of salt in a high power blender - Vitamix - until you have a milk. The milk can be strained or used as is.
to your health,
When I first started eating clean I was astounded by how many green leafy vegetables I needed to eat for optimal health. The reality is that most Americans are undernourished - even if overweight. In the jolieLife foods you will eat 6-8 cups of green leafy vegetables a day.
Green leafy vegetables feed your gut biome. Maintaining a healthy gut requires you feed the good organisms that live there - they eat compounds found in green leafy vegetables. A healthy gut improves your nutrient absorption and restricts antigens and pathogens from crossing through the gut into the blood where they wreck havoc on a healthy immune system.
They help you hydrate from the inside out. Greens are mostly water which can slowly be absorbed into the body as the greens are broken down.
Antioxidants galore. If you want glowing, clear, healthy skin you have to eat your greens - lots of them. If dry, aging skin with lots of fine lines is your thing, pass on the salad. Greens make more of an impact on your skin than any serum, cream, or facial. Spend the money on your vegetables - the dividends go deeper than a $400 facial.
What you feed yourself impacts the development of Alzheimer’s and cancer more than your genes. Green leafy vegetables contain many neuron and cell protective bioactive compounds. Read Anticancer or Ending Alzheimer’s to know just how important green leafy vegetables are.
Try a week of jolieLife meals. Go to the Super Food tab. It will teach you what you need to be eating and will amaze you how great you feel.
with love + light,
Jolie is dedicating 2019 to focus on extraordinary health, wellness and beauty.
This year one of my goals is to detox my beauty and body care routine. Your skin is your largest organ and absorbs 60% of what you put on it. A healthy diet is super important, but I do not want to sabotage myself in using less good skin care.
Here are my favorite finds so far:
Erbaviva Jasmine and Grapefruit Deodorant: it is awesome!!! I put it on after my evening shower, then again in the morning pre workout. I can workout, sweat, and run to the market if I need to before showering post workout - no stink. Most importantly, it doesn’t irritate your armpit. Erbaviva is great for sensitive skin as their specialty is baby and mama products. You can order on Amazon or through their website.
SKIN. The only moisturizing oil you need for your body. You can also use it sparingly on your hair and face. Skin contains powerful botanticals that help cell regeneration, elasticity, and firmness. The lightweight oil soaks into your skin, not transferring to you clothing and smells delicious. The scent, however, is light enough to not compete with your perfume. You can order the Pomona SKIN from jolie here.
Maya Chai Highlighter of the Day. You want glow + nourishment? It gives it in an awesome lightweight product that you can use on its own or blend with your foundation. The Highlighter contains broccoli seed oil, calendula extract, salvia seed - powerful antioxidants, and titanium oxide for UVA and UVB protection. No wrinkles, no sun damage. You can get Maya Chai from Credo or, local to the jolie Retreatment, Rose City Beauty.
Let me know how you like them and your latest finds in clean beauty.
with love + light,
Exercise began for me as a way to lose weight, get in shape, and relieve stress. It has become for me one of the primary ways I keep my body feeling and looking young. Exercise is a powerful youth serum available -- if you know how to make it. I created Row jolie as a workout and youth serum in one.
The key markers or characteristics of aging are: limited mobility, frailty, muscle loss, loss of bone mass, weight gain, thinning, sagging skin, random aches and pains, and inconsistent energy levels.
Bright, radiant skin, defined muscles, fluidity in movement, flexibility, endurance, energy, an overall good feeling in your body, and quick recovery from illness and/or injury are the signs of vitality.
When I work out, design workouts, and have personal training it is always important that the movements not only do no harm, but assist in keeping my body young and vital. Renewal is the name of the game.
6 ingredients necessary to turn exercise into youth serum
1. It is essential you incorporate full range of motion in some of your weekly exercise. For example, aim for full articulation of your shoulder. You want arm movements which mimic life: arms overhead, pulls and pushes. Think of picking up or playing with a baby - those are the movements: picking the child up, holding the baby and gazing at him, placing him gently in a crib. Push, pull, raise your arms overhead regularly. For the lower body, there is nothing better than lunges and squats. Fully articulate the joint with fluid, controlled movements using body weight or free weights which allow you to build strength while maintaining proper form.
2. Deterioration of balance is a key sign of aging. It affects your stride and ability to recover from being jostled or tripping. Balance is one of things that if you don’t use it, you lose it. Daily exercises that require balancing on one leg and bending over and straightening are a must. Lunges are a great example of balance maintaining exercises as well as one legged squats and burpees.
3. You do not have to jump to build bone density. Closed chain movements build bone density at the same rate as jumping. A closed chain exercise is where the feet are stationary and movement is made by exerting the legs and core. Rowing is an excellent example of closed chain cardio. Weighted squats and pushups are another forms of closed chain exercises which build bone density.
4. Cardio is not only a calorie burner and essential for heart health, but in your youthening routine it provides regeneration at the cellular level. Aging is marked by a decrease in the number of mitochondria in the cells. Aerobic activity, especially interval training, stimulates the production of more mitochondria in the skeletal muscle tissue. More mitochondria equals greater energy, faster recovery, better functioning cells, higher metabolism.
On the contrary, as mitochondria in skeletal muscle cells decrease, the cells become insulin resistant, inefficient, and prone to degenerative disease. This increase your risk of developing type 2 diabetes, systemic inflammation, and weight gain. All three of those situations are a step toward looking and feeling old.
5. Weight training 2-3 times a week. You look younger with visible, defined muscle. Beyond looks, strong muscle contraction maintains the connective tissue surrounding joints and builds bone density. In addition, strong muscle helps maintain posture, improves sleep, and balances blood sugar.
Also, strength is important to power the activity of life. Getting up, carrying groceries, gardening, caring for children, moving things around, a day out in the country or in town are all powered by your muscles. The stronger your muscles, the less taxing these activities are. In addition, muscles burn a lot of calories making it easier for you to maintain your figure and not experience the dip in metabolism that many say is an inevitable part of aging.
6. Detoxification. Exercise is an important detoxifier. Sweating, deep breathing, increased circulation all detoxify the body. This creates a healthier environment for every cell of the body by preventing the buildup of free radicals which interfere in cellular function. In addition, sweating and increased circulation stimulate the production of skin cells; thereby preventing thinning and sagging. Healthy cells are young cells, young cells equals young body.
I urge you to incorporate each of these six points into your exercise weekly. Over time you will see a difference in your appearance, increase in energy, and the disappearance of random aches and pains. I tell my youthening clients to expect to carve off one year for every month of moving, eating, and living to youthening. Stick with it - the results are amazing!
Skin. Skin shows our age. Skin is the barrier between us and the environment. Skin is exposed to heat, cold, dryness, humidity, sun, toxins, pollutants, and irritants constantly.
A fit body and an aged face reads as old, whereas a young face and not so fit body still reads as young. A very inshape friend of mine was horrified to learn this despite efforts to eat well and workout. On the way back from a playdate with other moms of a similar age, her toddler asked her why she was older than the other moms. She asked her daughter jokingly why she thought that. Answer: because her face was older.
Secret to beautiful skin: CARE. The skin on our faces needs more care than our teeth do. No one would skip brushing.
Knowing I am super serious about skin care my friend asked me for suggestions to restore radiance and elasticity. I asked my friend how she cares for her skin. She washes it in the morning and most of the time at night and applies moisturizer. If she's particularly tired and not wearing makeup, she'll skip the night washing.
Here is the problem. The skin on our bodies that is exposed most of the time needs more care than our teeth do. No one would skip brushing.
Routine is the key. ALWAYS - no exceptions - take care of your face morning AND night.
My "I'm really tired or rushed" routine has only three steps, but I never, never, ever skip them.
Night - after makeup is removed:
1. Exfoliate first
That there is the absolute most basic skin care routine that will keep you looking fabulous.
A few pointers,
1. Choose a cleanser that doesn't over dry your skin
2. Exfoliate with a fine exfoliant designed for the face. It can be a chemical exfoliant, like papaya extract or very gentle round physical exfoliant. Try it on your hand first.
3. Moisturize with a cream or oil that contains antioxidants.
4. Sunscreen always and reapply during the day, even in winter. I have a friend dermatologist who refuses to work with anyone on anti-aging that does not commit to sunscreen. If you do anything to try to counter aging, sunscreen is the first step.
If you follow my bare bones protocol, your skin will start looking more radiant in less than a week. It will shock you. For more help, stop by jolie for a chat.
The key to losing weight for the last time is not giving up as you take small, continual steps to create a new lifestyle, or habit of living, that feels so good and natural to you that you can't imagine living any other way.
“A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step” Lao Tzu
Six years ago I embarked on a weight loss journey that transformed my life. I did what statistics said were impossible. I needed to lose a lot of weight after my pregnancy. I gained almost 40 pounds during pregnancy and had gone into it with weight from the previous child. I lost all the weight plus some and have not regained it in the last six years.
There was so much wisdom and insight I gained from the journey. The golden nugget, however, is when you begin to transform your life look only at the improvements you are and have made. I thought to myself that every step, no matter how small, in the right direction was one step farther away from where I started and closer to my goal. I figured that every workout, every ounce lost, every size dropped, every inch smaller, every dessert skipped was a step forward.
There were slip ups. Each time, I thought of when a ball is kicked out of bounds in a soccer game. That doesn’t stop the game. The ball is thrown back in and play begins again. A weight loss goal is the same. It’s a game you are playing till the end. If you get sick and can’t workout, afterward throw the ball back in the field. Pick up where you left off. Continue the journey, don’t throw in the towel.
Small changes and small steps accumulate. After less than a year, all the weight was off. My body was fit and toned. I felt more beautiful, stronger, calmer, kinder, and happier. It was work, but the real work was to keep believing in myself, being my own cheerleader every day. This like most things in life only I could do for myself.
So, as January slips away, don’t lose hope. True, sustainable transformation happens very gradually. The longer it takes, the more time to establish new habits. Then, six years later the weight is still gone and you will find yourself fitter and fitter each year. I love coaching people toward their weight loss goals. Beyond my nutritional training, my own slow journey gave me a richer understanding of how to transform for good. If you are interested in ending the battle, I’d love to help you!!
With love and gratitude,
Workouts do more than burn calories or help you maintain your weight. The right workout rotation can also help you look younger and stay young looking for years
What must you have in your routine to stay looking young and vibrant?
1. Weight Lifting. Post menopause many women experience a loss of muscle mass. This effects not only posture, but your ability to do routine tasks in life like grocery shop, care for children, and manage your home. Research shows that resistance and body weight exercises such as yoga or mat work (such as in the jolie row class) reverses aging on a molecular level.
2. Sprints. Interval sprints are essential for maintaining fast twitch muscle fibers. These are the parts of your muscle that allow you to quickly regain your balance or react quickly. Sprinting, such as we do in the jolie row workout, helps maintain those fibers. This keeps your reaction time fast helping you navigate through unexpected circumstances and avoid fails. As one ages, the ability to quickly respond and recover balance is one of the first signs of aging. Maintaining and strengthen your fast twitch fibers will keep you nimble.
3. Flexibility training. Yoga and stretch maintain flexibility. Limber muscles allow you full ranges of motion and loosen joints as you grow older. In addition, the weigh bearing nature of yoga strengthens at the same time.
with love and gratitude,
Neglected hands are a telltale sign of age and too much sun exposure. It is important to care for the skin on our hands as our face. Your hands are exposed to more washing, sun, wind, and harsh chemicals than any other part of your body. Here are my tips for keeping your hands in tip top shape.
Words to Live By
Don't wait for the world to change, change it yourself.