Beauty, Wellness, Recipes, Food
Prevention is the best medicine and care. For beauty and anti-aging I utilize a lot of modalities besides plant based food, which is the basis of health and beauty without a doubt. My favorite treatments are those that give the most impact for both health, longevity, and beauty.
My top alternative beauty treatments:
1. Massage. Massage is the one weekly treatment I get to do everything. It boosts my recovery time from workouts as well as my athletic performance. Massage improves health by three mechanisms: it relaxes the body - a less stressed body fights off disease more easily; increases circulation so toxins are removed more quickly and thoroughly, and it moves lymphatic fluid which increases detoxification and fluid stagnation; it releases the facia to prevent pain - non-specific pain within the body as we get older can be due to tightness in the facia.
2. Facial acupuncture is #1 in line prevention treatment. Facial acupuncture not only prevents the formation of fine lines, but also diminishes the appearance of fine lines by stimulating muscle relaxation, similar to what botox does, leaving a more natural contour. Acupuncture also balances energy flow and releases energy blockages so that your skin, soft tissues, and musculature is more nourished. My acupuncturist, Maureen Griese of Soul Sprout Acupuncture
(http://www.soulsproutacupuncture.com/), combines facial acupuncture with a general treatment to balance overall energy and wellbeing. I love that Maureen includes lymphatic drainage to remove any facial puffiness, microcurrent treatment to tighten the skin, and LED light to reduce inflammation and boost collagen production. Love it! Definitely try it, it feels lovely.
3. Lymphatic drainage. Lymphatic drainage of the body is the most recent addition to my beauty treatment routine. When combined with a diet, like jolie
(https://www.thejolielife.com/store/c21/jolielife_Meal_Delivery.html), that reduces water retention, lymphatic drainage eliminates any stagnant fluid leaving a beautifully contoured body. It is a great antidote to water retention related to my menstrual cycle and travel.
4. Sauna. I began heavy use of the sauna last year and have continued it since because it makes me feel great and offers the benefits common to extreme temperature therapies: increased longevity, immunity, and stamina. A great podcast on the benefits of heat is here:
Cold therapy is also very beneficial. You can find out more here:
https://hubermanlab.com/using-deliberate-cold-exposure-for-health-and-performance/. I do not use cold therapy because I strongly dislike being chilled.
5. Meditation. Stress is inevitable and it mars beauty and wellbeing. My daily antidote is meditation, preferably outside in nature, but wherever I can get it. I use mostly visualization and mantra based meditation in the morning or afternoon. This kind of release - only 6-12 minutes required - helps drain worry from the face and body and reinstates a sense of wellbeing which radiates out. If you doubt, try it.
Words to Live By
I am not a heroine, but I have chosen the person I want to be.